Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I fell and broke my bones

I just reemembered a lady I met in Brisbane 3 years ago. She was a sad story. Her life was riddle with holes. Literally, i must say.

Her name is Angie( I have changed it ) and she was a single mother of 2 beautiful girls, one 6 and the other 8 years old. Angie was struggling when I met her with osteoporosis , so bad that she could not walk at the age of 36. She needed a wheel chair to move around and life was really hard especially with the energy of two small children around her all the time.

After I saw her condition I started to read more about her disease. You very often hear people say that they went to a doctor to find out that they have osteoporosis, this normally happens after a fall and broken bones. The comment is that we feel and broke our bone.

The reality is that your body weight just could not be supported by your leg bones and while you were walking one of the bones spanned and you fell. So the broken bone happened before the fall. The sad thing is that only after your doctor's visit do you get told that you have osteoporosis.

More about Osteoporosis in my next post.

Claude

No comments: